Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page! Here we will post answers to the most commonly asked questions. This page will be updated frequently so check back often!
How much does it cost to build an Affordaplane?
- The price can vary, however, common build prices range from $4000-$8000 for a flying, complete aircraft!
What engine should I use/Can I use X engine?
- There are a number of engines you can use! The plans were written around the Rotax 477, however, the Rotax 503, Kawasaki 440a, 1/2 Volkswagen, and others are popular choices. The plans list the weight restrictions.
I heard The Affordaplane isn’t a FAR103 ultralight, is that true?
- The Affordaplane (built to plans) can be built as an ultralight under FAR 103 or Light Sport Aircraft.
Do you sell printed plans/Do you sell full-scale drawings?
- Not yet, but it’s something we’re considering.
Where can I get materials?
- You can purchase them from a number of places online (Wicks, Aircraft Spruce, etc) or your local metal supplier. If you watch the facebook group you can often find people selling scrap they have left over or other parts or pieces.
Should I get training/What sort of training should I get?
- The best answer is all the training you can afford! In flying, the more training you have the better. At the very least, it would be good to get some basic flight training up to at least soloing. Tailwheel training is also quite important as landing a tailwheel aircraft is quite different from landing a tricycle gear aircraft. Finally, some ultralight training would be of value as ultralights, especially in power out situations, fly differently than your standard aircraft.
Where can I find the Stainless Steel U-Brackets?
- There are a number of places online that sell them, however, if you don’t feel like searching, you can acquire them here: https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/stainless-steel-u-bracket-maxair-su118.html