Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page! Here we will post answers to the most commonly asked questions. This page will be updated frequently so check back often!
How much does it cost to build an Affordaplane?
- The price can vary, however, common build prices range from $4000-$8000 for a flying, complete aircraft!
What engine should I use/Can I use X engine?
- There are a number of engines you can use! The plans were written around the Rotax 477, however, the Rotax 503, Kawasaki 440a, 1/2 Volkswagen, and others are popular choices. The plans list the weight restrictions.
Can you build the Affordaplane as an FAR 103 ultralight or Light Sport Aircraft?
- The Affordaplane can be built as an ultralight under FAR 103 or Light Sport Aircraft. It’s your choice!
Where do you get your materials from?
- You can purchase them from a number of places online (Wicks, Aircraft Spruce, etc) or your local metal supplier. We also show our customers how to save up to 50 % on materials by getting them locally!
Should I get training/What sort of training should I get?
- The best answer is all the training you can afford! In flying, the more training you have the better. At the very least, it would be good to get some basic flight training up to at least soloing. Tailwheel training is also quite important as landing a tailwheel aircraft is quite different from landing a tricycle gear aircraft.
Where can I get the Affordaplane Plans?
- Complete Plans Sets are only $19.99. Plans on CD are available for only $24.95
Visit http://www.affordaplane.com/buy-affordaplane-plane/ to start your adventure!
Should/could I weld the frame?
- You should NOT weld the aluminum. Much of the aircraft is made of 6061 T6 aluminum. Welding it would ruin the heat tempering which gives it strength.